Fish Facts for Fish Folk
There are quite a few myths regarding seafood that just aren’t true. Outlined below are some of our researched fish facts for fish folk, to help you better understand the importance of fresh fish in your diet, as well as better your relationship with the idea of eating fish!
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources states that Michigan has almost more than four times as much water area than any of the other 48 contiguous states. All of Michigan’s water is freshwater and is home to 154 kinds of fish. Anglers typically fish for only 30 of the available species. The state of Michigan allows commercial fishermen to catch the following fish: Whitefish, Yellow Perch (Saginaw Bay only), Chubs (Lake Michigan only by permit), Channel Catfish, White Perch, White Bass, Sheepshead, Quillback, Carp, Suckers, rock bass and crappies.
The Monger’s focus much of their attention on lake whitefish, which is Muskegon’s primary catch. The commercial whitefish season is open from December 1- November 1 at noon. Due to weather and ice conditions we primarily fish early Spring through November 1. So, why do so many people rave about eating fish?
According to the Washington State Department of Health, fish is healthy due to being low in fat, but high in protein. Fish contains a variety of supplements that promote good health, including:
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Omega-3 fatty acids help lower blood pressure, fight inflammation, promote brain health, especially during pregnancy, improve vision, and more.
- Calcium – Calcium is necessary to maintain bone strength, as well as the functionality of one’s heart, muscles, and nerves. Some studies also suggest that calcium lowers the risk of cancer and high blood pressure.
- Phosphorous – Phosphorous, like calcium, increases bone strength and health, but also is needed to create energy and move one’s muscles.
Doesn’t Fish Contain Mercury?
Other Fish Myths
Fish is hard to cook.
We have several simple recipes to get you the winner fish dinner you deserve. Head over to our recipes page for the easy fish recipes you’ll love.
I don’t like fish.
Women who are pregnant should avoid eating fish.
You shouldn't eat fish and dairy together?
You should only eat oysters during months that contain the letter “R.”
Michigan Fish Facts
- Michigan is the only state with access to four of the five great lakes.
- Michigan has the largest freshwater coastline in the world at 3,288 miles.
- Michigan’s state fish is the brook trout, which is actually a char and part of the salmon family.
- The largest fish caught in Lake Michigan was a lake sturgeon that was eight feet long and weighed 300 pounds.
- The male lake sturgeon has an average lifespan of 55 years, while females can live anywhere from 80-150 years.
- Although Michigan fish are freshwater, they only have slight nutritional differences from saltwater fish, such as containing higher amounts of calcium.
- The most dangerous fish in Lake Michigan is the sea lamprey, a parasitic fish threatening native species.
- Fishing season is usually from April to June, but different fish can be caught during different seasons. For example, coho salmon can be caught from June to October.
Michigan Lake Whitefish
As stated earlier, the Mongers have an affinity for catching whitefish. Lake whitefish range from 5 to 20 pounds and reach anywhere from 20 to 31 inches. Younger fish eat zooplankton, while adults eat claims, shrimp, and smaller fish. Due to its fat content, whitefish is great for smoking, which creates a delicate, salty, and smoky flavor. You can purchase smoked fish at our Norton Shores location, or in our online shop.
Whitefish is King in the Great Lakes! One 3-oz. serving of whitefish features Omega-3 fatty acids (a very good thing): .35g of EPA and 1.03g of DHA, to be exact. That’s more than pink and sockeye salmon. The government requires us to add: *Supportive but not conclusive research shows that consumption of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
We know about fish! And what we don’t know, we’ll find out for you.
Contact Us Today
FRESH CATCH BEACH UPDATE
Beach Report: Fri Jul 30, 2021 https://youtu.be/JxhtHNmwPj8
A Leg Above the Rest: Crab Legs vs. Frog Legs Some people are on a paleo diet, 1% of the population to be exact, while others are purely pescatarians, only 3% of the population. The paleo diet limits foods to those that were available during the age of hunters and...
Which is Healthier: Meat or Fish? Should you trade the meat block for a fillet knife, or are you dead set on eating steak and potatoes? Both fish and meat have their health benefits and many recipes call for them to be arranged side by side. This is because eating a...