Stewed Great Lakes White Fish with Tomatoes and Garlic (and Kale)
Great Lakes Whitefish Cookbook Publisher Michigan Sea Grant pg. 20 Chef: Unknown
- 1 Large Bunch Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Cups Fresh greens (Kale or Swiss Chard) (thinly sliced)
- 4 Fillets Great Lakes White Fish (Skinned)
- 1/4 Cup Oilve Oil
- 1 TBSP Hungarian-style Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 3-4 Cups Chicken or Fish Stock
- Spread cilantro evenly over the bottom of a Dutch oven. (The Wife used a really big stainless steel frying pan).
- Sprinkle with garlic and arrange greens, then tomatoes over top
- Set whitefish on tomatoes.
- Whisk oil and dry spices in a small bowl and pour over fish.
- Add enough broth or stock to reach the bottom of the fish.
- Bring to just under a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until fish is flaky and greens are tender, about 10