Spicy Sweet Salmon or Trout
Adding brown sugar to any fish recipe has never been something I've leaned towards..... until now! This recipe has just the right amount of savory, spice and sweet to make me eat an entire fillet!
- 1/4 - 1/2 pound per person Trout or Salmon
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- teaspoons ½Kosher Salt
- teaspoons ½Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil optional
- Preheat oven to 400F (205 C). Grill temperature is 400 to 450ºF.
- Place salmon/trout fillet, skin side down, on a foil covered baking pan. If you are grilling omit the baking pan.
- In a small bowl create the dry rub by mixing garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper together. Gently rub mixture over fish, the heavier you spice the fillet the more caramelization you will get from the brown sugar. For spreadability, you can add a touch of olive oil to the rub, but personally, I think trout and salmon are fatty enough and do not need the extra oil.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake 8 minutes for every inch of fillet thickness (ex. 1 1/2 inch fillet bake for 12 minutes). If grilling, use direct heat, grill for 8 minutes.
- No matter cooking method, check fish every 2 minutes after indicated cooking time for flakiness. Fish is done when flaky and still moist.