Smoked Trout Chowder Meal Kit
Yield: 1 Pint
- One Pot Wonder
- Each meal kit should make approximately 1 pint (2 cups) of chowder.
- Heat a 4-quart sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onion to pan. Sautee onion for 1-2 minutes. Watch closely to keep from burning. Stir as needed.
- Add celery and carrots to pan. Sautee 2-3 minute until soften. You may add ¼ cup of water to pan if you are concerned the carrots and celery will burn. If you prefer your carrots and celery firm remove them from the pan and set to the side. If you like them soft leave in pan for next step.
- Add potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper to pan with ½ cup of water or white wine (not included). Add salt and pepper to taste, but remember the smoked trout is salted.
- Bring potatoes and water/white wine to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes simmer, heat ¼ cup of the half and half cream in a small dish (microwave or stovetop). You only need to warm the half and half. Whisk white rice flour into the warmed half and half. A thick paste like texture should develop. Slowly whisk in remaining half and half until all the rice flour and half and half are combined.
- Once potatoes are desired tenderness stir in half and half.
- Add smoked trout (and carrots and celery if removed). Bring chowder to a low simmer over medium heat stirring every 1-2 minute to prevent half and half from curdling.
- Plate and serve.
- Share the love with a fellow Fish Folk by sharing a photo of your meal with them: Your Recommendation is our #1 way to gain new Fish Folk. You can also share on social media I love to see photos of your dinner please tag me @fishmongerswife or hashtag #fishmongerswifemuskegon
Recipe by Amber Mae This recipe was tried and tested by The Fish Monger’s Wife. We can’t guarantee that you’ll love it, but we’d be surprised if you didn’t.