Servings: 2 people
- 3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large stalks celery thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 14 ounce fire roasted tomatoes * See Not Below
- 1 small can tomato paste with Italian herbs **See Note Below
- To Taste Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 Cup dry white wine
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Pound mussels scrubbed and debearded
- 12 ounces whitefish skinned and cut into large chunks
- 4-5 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until soft – about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, ½ t. salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook and stir until thick.
- Add water, wine and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and whitefish; cover and cook until mussels open and fish is cooked about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; gently stir in parsley.
- If it is too thick, thin with a little more wine or water.
- Serve with crusty bread to soak up the sauce!
*Do NOT drain your tomaotes! The liquid holds a lot of flavor that adds to this meal. Also, the recipe originally called for crushed tomatoes, but fire roasted don’t come crushed. Give them a little mash or hit with a stick blender to reduce chunkiness just a bit before you add them. **If you can’t find it, just use regular and toss in a ½ - 1 t. Italian herbs
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!